Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Putrajaya & Cyberjaya - The "supposedly" Smart City

Putrajaya and Cyberjaya are both billed as "Smart City" whatever that means. But seriously I don't really understand what so smart about both of them maybe somebody can highlight me on that.

Anyway, I've been to Putrajaya and Cyberjaya a couple of times and everytime, I ended up being lost. I mean these cities are supposed to be well planned and with modern layout and all. But unfortunately, I really found the signboards to be lacking and confusing. Heck everytime I tried to get to Alamanda I would get lost. I mean there're like 2 sign boards directing me to Alamanda then suddenly they all disappeared and I would get confused and ended making a u-turn like 100x before I can reach Alamanda.

OK, now to the main reason why I'm posting this. Recently I was driving to PD and in order to avoid paying any toll, I decided to use the newly opened KL-Putrajaya highway. I followed the route used by the SkyBus from KL Sentral to LCCT and once I reached Sepang I drove through the back road to PD. After the successful drive to PD using the highway without paying any tolls, I decided to use the same way back to KL.

So here is where the adventure begins. As I reached Putrajaya, I tried to look at signs leading me to the KL-Putrajaya highway but I found none and decide just to take the KL-Seremban highway back home. So I just drove along following any sign boards that's leading to KL and guess what? It led me to a ramp that leads to nowhere and still under construction. It was at night and there's not even a single road light along the ramp. I was lucky that the car in front of me must have also made a mistake turning into the ramp and decided to turn back to the main road. I followed the car but as we reached the entry to the ramp, a few other cars were entering it and god I was lucky that none of them were driving fast, if not they might have hit me.

So here I would like to pose a question? Where's the smartness in this Smart City? Putrajaya is supposed to be the administrative capital of Malaysia and the don't even have proper road signs and how come an intersection that's still under construction have no barrier preventing vehicles from entering it? Accidents could have happened by this blatant display of carelessness.

Just yesterday if I'm not mistaken, I read in The Star that people are complaining that they can't seem to find the entrance to the KL-Putrajaya highway from Putrajaya. What good is a highway if people can't use it because they can't find the entrace? I guess this is the problem that arises when you have too many highways leading to the same place but none are properly labeled....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.