Monday, April 21, 2008

We did it!

Back in 2006, I played basketball for EXPRO in the East Coast Regional Games for my OPU where we got trashed by Oil Business by 30 points. I was attending a course the very same year that prevented me from playing for the KKP games held in KL where we also lost to Oil Business.

But on Saturday we finally got out taste of victory! We managed to beat an almost full strength (the exact same team that beat us by 30 points back in 06) Oil Business team in the KSRP mini games held at TTFC.

The road to victory wasn't easy though. Our team was first to play that morning with everybody still sleepy having to wake up early on Saturday morning and won the 1st game against another team also from KL by a miracle 3 point shot at the buzzer to avoid going into overtime (no the shot was not by me, I can't shoot 3s heh).

A really shaky start during the 1st half of the 2nd game saw us behind by double digits at the start of the 2nd half. We bucked up and held the EXPRO team from Kerteh (which I used to play for) to 7 points in the 2nd half but luck was not on our side as we lost by 1 point. I hold myself responsible for the loss as I kept on missing free throws and with 4.5 seconds left on the clock, I managed to grab a missed free throw by the opposing team but threw the ball too far that my team mates got no chance to catch it and try to take a shot for a win.

Despite losing the game, we was seeded no 1 in our group as the Kerteh EXPRO team lost their last game and was out of the running for the semi final games. We were up against the PGB team and managed to come out with a 4 point win and everybody was clearly tired at that point. Anyway the win set us up for a final game with Oil Business and me and Hussen were really pumped up for the game.

Everybody was on top of their game during the final and we were never behind during the 1st half. I took myself out of the game for a breather for the 2nd half as my body's aching all over but went back in just 2 minutes after. Just can't keep myself out of a game against a team I've been waiting to play for 2 years. Things got really close and heated up I would say; elbows were flying, shouts were exchanged and few technical fouls were called. They managed to equalized the game 3 minutes before the whistle but we managed to hold on. Despite a late technical foul when we were leading by just 4 points (they got 3 free throws, made 2 of 3, and also the possession) we kept it cool, got a steal, scored a basket and held on for the win!

Can't remember the last time victory tasted this sweet. Anyway, got home around 6.45pm that day (somebody was suppose to come by and take some pictures but she couldn't make it, so blame her for having no pictures to show heh) and just lie on the couch all night my body aching all over......

Anyway now I'm really looking forward for this year's KKP games and if this is how we play, mind you that we were missing some core players due to various reasons, things are looking great. Now I need to rest.....my feet's still hurting....

No comments: